Thursday 2 February 2017

Chickpeas & veggies soup with rainbow salad

When I was a little girl my parents used to add vinegar to the soup we used to eat as a starter. Oh, I remember now very clear how much I used to hate the taste of it, I would cry or even throw a tantrum until my soup was replaced by a fresh non-sour bowl of soup. Guess what ? I now love adding vinegar to my soup and I buy unfiltered apple vinegar so the taste is as authentic as can be. My father used to make his own apple vinegar from our own apple tree so we were spoiled with taste. Now days any nutritionist will tell you to eat something sour just before you eat your meal to kick start the acids in your stomach so your food is easily digested and you don't get bloated. It can be a Tbsp of vinegar in a little water or it can be a handful of rocket leaves or it can be a bowl of sour soup ☕   I am contributing with this recipe to my fellow blogger veghog, she is promoting " cheap eats week " and I think this soup is very much on budget !!!












Ingredients:

1 onion or 1 leek, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1 parsnip, sliced
leftover broccoli stalks
1 can of chickpeas
vegetable stock 
olive oil
pepper
handful of pasta 
handful of polenta 
parsley 

In a big cooking pot splash some olive oil and add the vegetables. Let them sweat on a medium heat with lid on for about 15 minutes.
Add 1 litre of stock + more, depend of how much vegetables you have, as well as the chickpeas.
Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes and add the pasta shapes. Cook for further 5 - 10 minutes before you add the instant polenta ( you don't have to, I just fancied thicker soup ) 
Adjust the taste, add some fresh parsley.

For the salad, grate some beetroot ( mine is golden ) and carrot, slice some purple cabbage, add some chopped red pepper and fresh parsley.
Season the salad with olive oil, vinegar and salt.

The bread dipped in the soup on the photo is this one 



2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! Thank you so much for sharing this with my Cheap Eats. This recipe suits it just perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so funny how our tastes change from child to adult, i think i would like the picquancy of the vinegar. And that rainbow salad can only make you feel cheerful. Also thank you so much for your natural herbal remedy for sore throats, I will try it.

    ReplyDelete